Thursday, July 06, 2006

The 'skills shortage'

Guardian mini-article.
It comes as a big shock to me when I find Jack Schofield coming out with something I can agree with, but this:
This creates the impression that the IT industry is mainly short of overeducated young people who will work for not much money.

hits the nail on the head. No wonder programming is being seen as uncool - a low-paid job that leaves you on the scrap-heap at 40? And these days requires a relevant degree (relevant in this case having the additional meaning of 'f**k all use in any other industry'). Overall, salaries don't seem to be going up, a lot of the jobs advertised these days offer less than I was earning in the late 1980s.

Yet British industry doen't seem to have much problem paying out good money to nebulously-defined marketing people or even mega-money to 'world-class executives' (translation: someone who's presided over the f**king up of a major corporate :)).

How come the law of supply and demand doesn't operate here?

5 Comments:

At 14/7/06 16:50, Blogger Retardo Bot said...

Interesting points - specially for a soon-to-be graduate.

BTW - not sure if you knew, but this particular posting was quoted in the Technology Guardian yesterday (thats how i found out!)

 
At 14/7/06 17:04, Blogger Retardo Bot said...

This is the link to the article in Technology Guardian that was published yesterday - your website is quoted at the bottom.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/
0,,1818624,00.html

(sorry, had to go on 2 linees otherwise it wouldn't fit)

 
At 15/7/06 09:00, Blogger Les the Spaceman said...

Cheers for that, RB. All a bit cicrular, the Grauniad quoting me quoting the Grauniad :)

 
At 15/7/06 11:09, Blogger Les the Spaceman said...

RB, my strong advice to you would be to have one thought in mind if you're entering IT after you graduate: to be self-employed at some stage. Day-jobs are good for paying the bills (and your student loan) but regard them as no more than a gap-filler.

 
At 15/7/06 12:35, Blogger Retardo Bot said...

Thanks for the advice.

I actually completed my astrophysics (don't laugh) degree last year and this year I am just completing my Masters in technology ventures.

I have come to realise over the course of this year that ultimately I wish to be running my own business in the future - whether this is in the IT sector or not, I do not know.

I just cannot muster the enthusiasm to apply for graduate roles in the financial industry, which seem to be the pinnacle of achievement if the hearsay within graduate fair circles is anything to go by.

I would be interested in hearing your viewpoints on anything related to working in the IT industry or industries that you would be interested in working in if you were in my position (or anything else).

Give me a shout and I will hear.

RB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home